The process of getting a Kenyan passport can be simple or it can be a crash course in the workings of the Kenyan immigration bureaucracy. If you’d like the process to be simple, then learn the rules and put together everything you require to apply for your Kenyan passport. It is best to apply for your passport at least 30 days before you plan to travel.
Why you need a Kenyan passport
All Kenyan citizens who wish to travel anywhere outside Kenya will need a passport. However, those who wish to travel within East Africa can use an East African Passport or a temporary passport.Article continues after advertisement
Requirements for application
1. A duly filled passport application form (download it here).
2. Documentary evidence of Kenyan citizenship i.e. Original & copies of birth Certificate and National Identity Card, or a Certificate of naturalization or registration and Renunciation Certificate of former citizenship.
3. Three passport size photographs.
4. For applicants who are below the age of eighteen years, the parents or legal guardianâ€™s written consent must be provided.
5. For applicants who are adopted, the original adoption certificate, clearance letter from the childrenâ€™s department, and or, the Court ruling or award.
6. A certified copy of the ID of the person recommending the applicant.
Kenyan passport application form
1. Applicants who are married must complete section 3 and also produce evidence of the same.
2. The application must be recommended in section 7 by a citizen of Kenya who is a Minister of Religion, a Medical or Legal practitioner, an established Civil Servant or Bank Official personally acquainted with the applicant. The person recommending the applicant must not be an immediate relative.
1. They photographs must be three in number.
2. The photographs must be taken full face without a hat.
3. The photographs must not be mounted.
4. The size of the photographs must not be more than 2Â½ inches by 2 inches or less than 2 inches by 1Â½ inches.
5. The photographs must be printed on normal thin photographic paper and must not be glazed on the reverse side.
6. The person recommending the applicant is required to endorse the reverse side of one copy of the photographs with the words: I certify that this is a true likeness of the applicant Mr. (Mrs. or Miss) and add his signature.
Where to apply
Applications for a passport must be submitted personally to the following Passport Control Offices:
1. Nairobi: Ground Floor (North Wing), Nyayo House – Tel :+254- 20-2222022
2. Mombasa: PC’s Office Building – Tel:+254-41-2222676
3. Kisumu: New Provincial Headquarters – Tel:+254-057-2024935/2025438/0700596071
4. Eldoret: Public works building – Tel: +254-53-6337
5. Garissa: Telefax:0462102140
8. Kenya Embassy, Washington D.C: 2249 R Street,N.W.Washinton D.C 20008 U.S.A – Tel:+12023876101 – www.kenyaembassy.com
9. Kenya High Commision, London: 45 Portland place London WIBISIAS United Kingdom – Tel:+442076368364 – www.kenyahighcommission.net
Kenyan Passport Fees
A series: 32 pages – Kshs. 4,500
B series: 48 pages – Kshs. 6,000
C series: 64 pages – Kshs. 7,500
There are new rules for applying and renewing Kenyan passports and permits. Kindly follow the link below.